(MEDIA-M) Chisinau, Moldova
Deadline: August 22, 2017
Open to: Media outlets from Republic of Moldova
The "Media Enabling Democracy, Inclusion and Accountability in Moldova" (Media-M) project is funded by USAID and implemented by Internews. Through the project, Internews will help media outlets from Republic of Moldova to improve the quality of their content, diversify news formats, strengthen their financial viability, and better engage their audiences, especially digitally.
Six media outlets will be selected for an initial one-year period assistance program, including a differentiated grant opportunity, with the possibility of multi-annual extension based on demonstrated progress and results, as evaluated through annual milestone assessments conducted by Internews staff and consultants as well as ongoing monitoring. Ongoing coaching and mentoring will be provided by long-term editorial and management consultants working regularly with management and staff in-house at each selected outlet to support progress toward individualized targets and goals. The grant amount will be negotiated individually and justified based on the results of a needs assessment. The media outlets selected to receive assistance will be expected to actively participate in MEDIA-M trainings, provide time and space for the editorial and management consultants to work, and design and post/broadcast public service content, including on media literacy issues.
Grants may support production and distribution of multiplatform news content (including technical upgrades to make that possible), introduction of innovative story formats, and coverage of political, economic, and social issues that promote accountability and civic participation.
Priority will be given to outlets based outside the capital and Chisinau-based outlets having/ seeking to establish closer ties with regional audiences, particularly minority-language speakers. At least one of the key partner outlets will focus primarily on production of investigative journalism. At least half of the assisted media outlets will have minority language production.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a locally registered organization in Moldova
- Independent editorial policy (as evidenced by external assessment/evaluation reports where possible)
- Proven dedication to professional, ethical journalism (as evidenced by media monitoring reports where possible)
- Romanian and Russian-language outlets and multiple platforms (TV, radio, print, and/or Internet) are eligible.
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a technical committee (composed of media experts and donor representatives) on a range of selection criteria including:
- Independent editorial policy,
- Proven commitment to ethical journalism,
- Willingness to geographically expand their coverage and network (e.g. through branch offices, remote staff, etc.),
- Motivation to build their own capacity through sustained work with experts in multimedia journalism and business management,
- Proven commitment to public service journalism,
- Existing initiatives or desire to foster community engagement and use audience feedback to improve content,
- Demonstrated openness to managerial improvements (evidence of adoption of improved managerial strategies, self-learning initiatives, restructuring efforts, or other similar actions)
- Proven originality and openness to experimentation,
- Ability to allocate time and physical resources for long-term consultant experts,
- Diversity among the staff (employment of persons with disabilities, persons belonging to minorities), etc.
Applicants should make sure to address these points in their application materials.
Application(s) must meet the following requirements:
- Motivation letter outlining reasons for application
- Companies’ registration documents with the Moldovan authorities
- Capacity statement, including human and technical resources allocated for the project
- Strategic/ organizational plan for the media outlet (if available), otherwise a statement outlining the goals of the outlet over the next five years
Application Submission Instruction
All interested outlets are encouraged to submit their application electronically to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with “MEDIA-M KEY PARTNER SUPPORT" in the subject line, until August 22, 2017, 18:00.