Internews is an international media development organization whose mission is to give people a voice and the information to empower communities. To support the implementation of a USG-funded project in the MENA region, Internews is seeking a part-time researcher. The researcher will be responsible for conducting an in-depth desk review supplemented with interview-based data collection methods. The researcher will be responsible for analyzing coverage of a MENA country in international media to assess the extent to which conflict and humanitarian crises are covered, what topics do or do not make international news, and what coverage gaps exist.
- Job Title: Part-Time Researcher (short-term contract) – MENA
- Location: Remote
- Reports to: Regional Program Manager – MENA
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct in-depth desk review on international media outlets covering gender, human rights, economic, and political issues in MENA;
- Conduct key informant interviews with international media representatives, project partners, development agency officials and others;
- Clean, collate and analyze data collected;
- Produce in-depth research report of no longer than 30 pages;
- Develop English language and Arabic language one pagers with key research findings.
To perform this consultancy successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Fluency in English and Arabic, with excellent writing and communication skills.
- Good understanding of media, political, cultural, gender, religion, and other sensitivities in MENA.
- Good understanding of international media outlets covering issues in the MENA region.
- At least 3-5 years of research-related work experience and at least 1-year experience as a lead researcher.
- Demonstrable experience conducting interviews, focus groups discussions, data analysis, and publications with policy implications and recommendations (non-academic publications preferred).
- Experience with media monitoring and analysis.
- Experience in leading or supporting the execution of qualitative and/or quantitative research activities and report production with a focus on the MENA region.
- Experience in conducting key interval interviews.
- Experience in social media analytical tools and digital metrics.
- Knowledge of GIS is an asset.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills.
- Relevant university degree in social sciences field, preferably with a focus on research.
Timeframe and Deliverables
Estimated billable days: 15 days
Note that the draft and final reports should be presented in English and be no longer than 30 pages (excluding any relevant annexes). The report layout should include a concise executive summary of core findings and recommendations, a methodology section, and make explicit any limitations/gaps.
Application packages should include the following materials:
- A CV and 2 references
- Past work samples
- A 2-3 page statement of interest/proposal, highlighting how your methodological approach will address the scope of evaluation and describing how your profile meets the criteria
- A short cost justification (not included in the 2-page limit) and estimated level of effort (number of days) – including daily rate for your last 3 consultancies.
If you have any questions, please contact Basheer Aldhorai ([email protected]) or Candace Gibson ([email protected]).