Internews in partnership with the Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) is welcoming applications from journalists, content producers and media trainers/lecturers for a remote data journalism training of trainers (ToT) on how to teach data-driven communication skills. The training will establish an understanding of data-driven hypotheses by introducing them to social science methodologies. Participants will also be able to explore different approaches of writing data-driven questions using visualized data. By the end of the training they will be able to answer appropriate data-driven interview questions through data analysis in Excel and craft a narrative.
As part of our 200-hour data journalism certification program in Jordan, Internews has produced a Jordan edition of the Data Journalism Training Manual now available in Arabic and English to the public as an open source resource through ARIJ’s website.
Eight selected participants will commit to a remote four-day training. The hands-on training will lead participants through the development of lessons and exercises on three fundamental topics: writing a data-driven hypothesis, writing interview questions for a data set and answering those questions through data analysis in Excel. Trainees will graduate with an understanding of how the lesson leads to the desired learning outcomes as well as completed lessons to pilot with their own students. The completed lesson materials will include a slide deck and a written exercise for each lesson.
The training will be offered in English with support from bilingual instructors.
Days/Date: Saturday – Tuesday 22-25 August (10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Amman time)
In order to be considered eligible to apply, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Strong experience (more than 5 years) in data journalism and/or academia/training OR credible interest in data journalism and/or data-driven communications
- Strong research skills
- Based in Jordan or hold the Jordanian nationality
- Experience in using data for the public good
- Intermediate Excel skills for data analysis
- A reliable internet connection to access the remote learning platform
- Attend the full four-day training.
- Actively participate in discussions and submit daily assignments.
- Localize three lessons of the Internews Data Journalism Training Manual, including one slide deck and one exercise per lesson, which participants will develop during the workshop.
Interested candidates must submit the application form via Google Forms by 11 August 2020.
If you do not receive a confirmation email after submission via Google Forms, please email your application materials to [email protected].
**Applications will close as soon as the spots fill up based on the criteria and obligations outlined**
(Banner photo: Newspaper box in Amman Jordan. By Aaron Groote, The Post/Flickr/CC)