Internews is pleased to welcome six new members to the Internews US and European boards. Together, these new members bring a powerful blend of expertise across media, philanthropy, policy, and business. We are grateful to have their assistance to help advance our mission of ensuring everyone around the world has access to trustworthy information to make informed decisions and hold power to account.
Read below to meet our newest board members and learn more:
- Mark Hannam is Chair of the Ethical Property Company, which owns and manages workspaces in the UK for charities, social businesses, and campaigning organizations. He is also a board member of Gateway Housing Association in East London.
- Rachael Leman is a Consultant and the Co-Founder of Leman Kennedy. She has held senior staff positions in government and nonprofits for over 20 years. Most recently, she served as the Associate Vice President of U.S. Advocacy at CARE, a global development and humanitarian organization.
- Bill Lowery recently served as General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, and Senior Executive Advisor for KQED Inc., where he was responsible for managing the diverse legal affairs of the well-known public media organization, as well as counseling the board of directors on corporate governance and compliance matters, and advising the CEO and senior leadership team on a variety of issues.
- Sonal Shah is the chief executive officer at The Texas Tribune. She has started and led social impact efforts in academia, government, and the private and philanthropic sectors for over 25 years.
- Ẹniọlá Ànúolúwapọ́ Ṣóyẹmí is a political philosopher and academic at Oxford’s Blavatnik School where she is Departmental Lecturer (Senior Research Fellow from April 2024) in Political Philosophy and Public Policy. Prior to this, she was a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute. Before entering academia, she worked at Chatham House and in the Guardian’s lobby office in the UK House of Commons.
- Mary Trussell is a retired Big 4 insurance audit and advisory partner with a 30+ year career across multiple geographies. Trussell is an expert in navigating changing business environments, regulations, and standards and delivering transformational change. She combines strategic and financial experience with a sound understanding of financial oversight, risk management, culture, and diversity.