Given the pivotal role of Open-Source Software (OSS) digital safety tools in today’s digital domain, Internews seeks to bolster their durability and broad access. These tools, which serve as crucial assets for journalists and civil society organizations, ensure a safer digital environment while promoting freedom and adaptability.
In partnership with six OSS digital safety tool teams, our goal is clear: ensure the continuous and free accessibility of these tools to users worldwide. The essence of these tools goes beyond mere utility; they are crucial assets providing services such as secure archiving, encrypted communication, reliable cloud storage, and enhanced wireless network security.
However, the task of amplifying and sustaining these tools is a challenging endeavor. Resource limitations, escalating demands, and potential burnout are hurdles that our teams face. These challenges emphasize the need for expertise to keep these tools robust and dependable.
Internews seeks to establish a roster of OSS Business Sustainability Consultants for diverse roles within the tool teams we are funding. These part-time remote positions are fully funded until March 2024, with potential extensions based on mutual agreement and funding availability.
The role specifics will be tailored to the needs of the individual tool teams, who will contract the consultants directly and be responsible for their supervision. We invite qualified candidates to submit their applications by November 24th. As we review applications on a rolling basis, early submissions are encouraged. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are looking for
- Marketing Specialists: Professionals who can strategize and implement effective outreach to ensure these tools gain wider recognition and usage. The Marketing Specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies, campaigns, and initiatives to promote the tools.
- Communication Specialist: Individuals who can translate the technical nuances of these tools into comprehensible and engaging narratives for varied audiences. Their primary goal is to convey technical information in a clear and simplified manner. They use plain language to break down complex concepts and make them accessible to non-technical individuals.
- Fundraisers & Grant Writers: Those with a track record of securing funds and crafting compelling grant proposals that underscore the value and necessity of these tools.
- Testers: Experts adept at evaluating tool performance, identifying potential issues, and providing actionable feedback for improvements.
- UX/UI Designers: Professionals dedicated to optimizing the user experience, ensuring these tools are intuitive and accessible, especially to those less familiar with technology.
If you possess the knowledge, hands-on experience, and passion to make a difference in the digital safety realm, we invite you to join our mission. Help us ensure that these invaluable tools remain accessible, secure, and efficient for those who rely on them most.
- Professional Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience in the respective field, with a demonstrated track record of success.
- Education: Relevant degree or certification in the respective field, though exceptional experience can be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Language: Proficiency in English, both written and spoken. Additional languages are an asset.
- Availability: Ability to commit to the duration of the consultancy, with flexibility to attend meetings across different time zones if needed.
Baseline Requirements for Each Role:
- Marketing Strategists:
- Demonstrable experience in developing and executing marketing strategies, preferably for tech or digital safety tools.
- Knowledge of both online and offline marketing tactics.
- Ability to analyze market trends and adapt strategies accordingly.
- Technical Communicators:
- Experience in translating technical jargon into relatable content for diverse audiences.
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with digital safety concepts and tools is a plus.
- Fundraising Professionals & Grant Writers:
- A track record of securing funds from diverse sources, including grants, donors, and corporate partnerships.
- Experience in crafting compelling grant applications.
- Knowledge of the digital safety ecosystem and its funding landscape.
- Quality Assurance Analysts:
- Hands-on experience with software testing tools and methodologies.
- Ability to work closely with developers to relay feedback and recommendations.
- Familiarity with security protocols and standards, especially as they relate to digital safety tools.
- UX/UI Designers:
- Proven experience in designing intuitive and user-friendly interfaces.
- Proficiency with design software like Sketch, Adobe XD, or Figma.
- A portfolio that showcases past projects, especially those related to tech or digital safety applications.
Desirable Traits for All Roles:
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work harmoniously with diverse teams and stakeholders.
- Problem-solving Mindset: Aptitude for identifying challenges and proactively suggesting solutions.
- Passion for the Cause: A genuine interest in promoting digital safety and supporting journalists and civil society organizations.
- Adaptability: Comfortable with a rapidly evolving landscape and capable of pivoting strategies or approaches as necessary.
- Updated CV/Resume.
- Cover letter detailing relevant experience and explaining the motivation for the application.
- For roles requiring portfolios (like UX/UI Designers), provide links or attachments of previous work.