Announcing a call for proposals to conduct research on coverage (local and international) of the recent border conflicts in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to identify hate speech and intolerance.
To ensure neutrality and impartiality, companies with content analysis experience that are not based in either subject country are invited to participate.
In October 2022, Internews launched a regional project that aims to strengthen the capacity of the media and civil society to jointly improve coverage of border conflicts and bridge ethnic and other divides in communities along the Kyrgyz-Tajik border.
- Conduct a content analysis of the border conflicts in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in the spring of 2021 and fall of 2022, published in the media and social networks by journalists and non-traditional content producers (bloggers, activists, Influencers, community leaders) in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, as well as in key media of neighboring countries and international information sources (as agreed with the client) to identify hate speech and intolerance.
- The results of the content analysis should include quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Contract term: January – March 2023
Methodology and technical approach
A specific methodology will be developed by the contractor and submitted to Internews for approval.
Internews will have the right to make suggestions and/or changes to the proposed methodology.
The content analysis should cover publications in the media and posts in social networks published during the active phase of the conflicts that took place in spring 2021 and autumn 2022 in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in Russian, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Uzbek and other languages.
Scope of work:
- Develop a specific content analysis methodology and approve it with the Client
- Conduct a content analysis of the border conflicts in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan in spring 2021 and fall 2022, published in the media and social networks by journalists and non-traditional content producers (bloggers, activists, Influencers, community leaders) in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, as well as in key media of neighboring countries and international information sources (as agreed with the Client) to identify hate speech and intolerance
- Provide a preliminary report and a final report in text format and as a multimedia presentation broken down by country in Kyrgyz, Tajik, Russian and English, including tables, visualization/graphics, and recommendations
- Develop and participate in the presentation of the study to the audience/partners/donors
- A study will be conducted according to a specific methodology developed by the contractor
- A summary and recommendations of the study must be submitted on time
- A portfolio that contains a minimum of three years of practical experience in conducting content analysis;
- Experience conducting content analysis of hate speech and intolerance around border conflicts is preferred;
- Send a proposed methodology for conducting the content analysis, including the tools and software to be used for the analysis, and provide a timeline for the work;
- Send a minimum of one sample content analysis report;
- Provide CVs of key members of the analysis team;
- Provide letters of recommendation and contact information for previous partners or clients;
- Submit a quote for the proposed content analysis;
- Expected scope of work – 2 months.
Note: Internews has also announced a simultaneous call for proposals for research on conflict and crisis coverage in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, focusing on recent cross-border conflicts (2021-2022). Companies are welcome to apply for both tenders.
Applications will be accepted until 6 p.m. EST on January 5, 2023.