The Global Forum for Media Development, an international network of journalism support and media development organisations, will co-host a panel on 21 March as part of this year’s NGO Committee on the Status of Women in New York (NGO CSW63).
GFMD invites everyone to join them for a panel discussion with female media professionals which will explore the ways in which women harness online spaces to challenge stereotyping and misrepresentation in traditional media.
The panellists for the event are:
- Emma Heywood – Lecturer in Journalism, Politics, and Communication at the University of Sheffield. She is also leading the “FemmePowermentAfrique” program, which assesses the impact of radio on women’s empowerment in Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso.
- Laura Zelenko – Senior Executive Editor for Talent, Diversity, Training, and Standards at Bloomberg News. Laura is responsible for newsroom diversity and inclusion, as well as ensuring fairness and balance across all platforms, in all forms of content.
- Ilaria Tosello – The gender equality and social inclusion focal point in El Salvador for IREX. Ilaria primarily works on the Securing Access to Free Expression programme, providing safety training and other support to journalists and social communicators.
- Snjezana Milivojevic – Professor of Public Opinion and Media Studies at the University of Belgrade – Faculty of Political Science. She is also Media and Gender Advisor for Media Diversity Institute, London.
- Sonia Terrab – Moroccan filmmaker, journalist, and novelist covering themes such as the status of women in Morocco, feminism, and sexuality.
- Namees Arnous – Working as an Egyptian publisher, Namees has founded a new media production company, and has worked on many campaigns that aim to promote women’s independence and empowerment.
The 90 minute panel discussion will include individual reflection from each panellist along with discussion with the audience. GFMD is co-organising the event alongside member organisations: Fondation Hirondelle, Free Press Unlimited, International Media Support, Internews, IREX, and the Media Diversity Institute.
Note to Editors
The Global Forum for Media Development (GFMD) is an international membership network of media assistance groups that highlights the importance of independent, pluralistic and sustainable media in social and economic development. GFMD members share a common goal: to foster free, professional and pluralistic media, leading to more open societies, greater transparency, and enhanced freedom of expression.
Visit our website for more information about our work.
Date: 21 March 2019
Time: 12:30 – 14:00
Venue: Church Center for the United Nations, 10th Floor, 777 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017 United States
Event Link: https://gfmd.info/event/does-the-online-space-allow-women-in-media-to-challenge-stereotyping-and-misrepresentation-an-ngo-csw63-mediadev-panel/
Website for registration: https://www.ngocsw.org/
Follow GFMD on Twitter for updates: @MediaGFMD
Keep track of the conversation: #WiMedia #FemmePower
To get in touch please send us an email at: [email protected]